Saturday, September 19, 2009

Brake Issues

In May of this year, we took my car into the shop to get new brake pads. We went to none other than Just Brakes. I am not sure if they are located everywhere in the US, but they are in Georgia.

After I got my brake pads changed, my steering wheel would shudder when I brake. It was the most annoying thing ever! So we went back to Just Brakes and they said that we needed new calipers. I decided to call Tires Plus and the guy there told me that my car shouldn't need new brakes (only 44,000 miles on it) and for me to take it in to get it inspected.

Well, that was last weekend. We took it in today and he told us that we definitely didn't need new calipers and he totally said that Just Brakes sucks! We needed new brake pads and new rotors since they are warped from the bad job that Just Brakes did. I was worried that we were getting duped again. I'm not very trusting of car mechanics.

So I called Meineke for a second opinion. He said that maybe we can just get the brake pads restuffed and possibly resurface the rotors. He also said that Just Brakes suck. The price was very similar to what Tires Plus offered us so we decided to go with Tires Plus since we were getting new pads and rotors.

The damage: $297.06. It sucks that we had to pay this money, but we learned our lesson and that is, don't go to Just Brakes. I am sure some are better than other, but now we know that if it's too cheap, it is probably not very good quality.

I drove the car afterwards and no shuddering! It's the most comforting feeling ever.

Money Dieter

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tip. I'll be sure not to go to Just Brakes. Last summer I needed the brake job and paid nearly $600 at Meineke. The car is ten years old, though, so I guess it was needed. They did not even do the back brakes and guess what - they are starting to make that scraping sound.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I say last summer I mean just a few months ago. I'm still reeling from that bill.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job getting a 2nd and 3rd opinion.

    -1MansMoney

    ReplyDelete